Whether you are a Health Professional or Fitness Professional, Hibiscus Health Caribbean Inc has something for you! Join us on our Nutrition Education Weekend on May 6 or May 7 and here from Nutrition and Obesity Expert Helene Charlebois as she delivers Nutrition for Non-Nutritionists and Nutrition for Fitness Professionals and Enthusiasts. Registration is BDS$150.00. RSVP now at www.hibiscushealthcaribbeanevents.eventbrite.com.
Nutrition for Non – Nutritionitsts (Health Care Professionals) – 6 May 2017 – 1.00PM-6.30PM
This continuing medical education event is designed for health professionals whom are not experts in nutrition and/or weight management but work with people who would benefit from such interventions. In countries like Barbados and the Caribbean in general where many people suffer from chronic non-communicable diseases such as obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol knowledge of food and nutrition interventions which are scientific and evidence based is critical to making an impact in each patient’s lives. Together, with multi-disciplines involved in patient care, we can make a difference. Stronger together!
There is a growing consumer interest in food, nutrition & the foodie world; everyone is a food expert these days. Many of your patients and or clients are asking you for accurate nutrition advice. What is the right answer to all these food questions?
Do you work in the healthcare field but are not a nutrition expert? There is so much confusion about food and nutrition in our society today. Come join us to learn about the “who, what, where, when & how” of the nutrition world facilitated by Canadian Registered Dietitian & Nutrition Influencer Helene Charlebois (hcnutrition.com).
- To educate the health professional on sound food and nutrition information
- To promote evidence-based nutrition interventions
- To acquire advanced knowledge to translate into patient-friendly interventions, tools and education
- To gain sound knowledge on the mechanisms involved in weight and obesity management and the causes plus its implications
- To gain insight into how the food industry captures our mind and bodies and the way they manipulate consumers
Draft Programme: Nutrition for Non-Nutritionists (Health Care Professionals)
|Why do we eat?
Current trends in nutrition
|Nutrition Fundamentals/ Nutrition 101|
|– Refresher – Remembering The Basics: Carbohydrates, Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals, Fats, Water|
|Reliance on pills and potions|
|Evidence-based nutrition – Food. Fact & Fiction
– Dispelling myths
– The truth about sugar, coconut oil & more
– Food labels & health claims
|2.30-3.00||Break/ Sponsors’ Exhibits|
|3.00-4.30||Weight Management: Practical hands-on tools and strategies to help you help your patient make changes|
|Protein and the latest in research: how much is too much?|
|4.30-4.45||Break/ Sponsors’ Exhibit|
|Nutrition in Medicine: Controlling co-morbidities with nutrition – Obesity, Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Hypertension, Cancer|
|Mind, Mood and Your Food – exploring food and mental health|
|Work Session: Take action|
|6.00-6.30||Putting it all into practice – exploring best practices in nutrition interventions|
Nutrition for Fitness Professionals & Enthusiasts – 7 May 2017, 1.00-6.30pm
Sky Mall Conference Room, Sky Mall, Haggatt Hall, St. Michael
Programme – “Nutrition for Fitness Professionals & Enthusiasts”
|1.05-1.30||Current Situation: Movement, Fitness, Sports, Nutrition||Dr. V. Rene Best, Sports Medicine Specialist|
|1.30-2.30||Why Do We Eat||Helene Charlebois, RD|
|Nutrition 101: The Fundamentals|
|Food, Facts & Myths: Wading through health claims, food labels and consumer information
– Is sugar really that bad?
– What about coconut oil?
– Current trends in nutrition
|2.30-3.00||Break/ Sponsors’ Exhibits|
– Diets 101, Pills and Potions, What works and what does not
– Fundamentals of weight management
– Balancing carbs and proteins
– Effective quick and easy tools for you to have results with your clients lose weight and keep it off
|4.00-4.45||How to improve performance:
– Science and Nutrition
– Protein needs: what does the science tell us
– Supplementation – Creatine, Taurine, energy booster and more – what works
|Helene Charlebois, RD
Dr. V. Rene Best, Sports Medicine Specialist
|4.45-5.00||Break/ Sponsors’ Exhibits|
|5.00-6.15||Are you giving your client the right information?||Helene Charlebois, RD
|Nutrition in various types of training|
|The client with Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol|
|Obesity: how to truly make a difference in helping your client achieve a healthy weight|
|6.15-6.30||Best Practices: what actually works for you?|